Wednesday 14 August 2013

Week 3

This week's exercise is to establish the basic form of the overall primitive and the scale and proportions of the various spaces that will make up the house.

The first step that I undertook was to establish the size of each bedroom in terms of width, length and height and then categorise these spaces into my own definition. I decided to split these spaces into 3 main zones, habitable spaces, non-habitable spaces and services using different colours. Below is my own definition of each terminology mentioned. 

Habitable Spaces: Are the spaces that primarily allow the user to sleep in such as bedrooms.

Non-Habitable Spaces: Are the spaces that the users of the house can use throughout their day to carry out various activities such as the kitchen for eating and the living room for the family to gather in.

Services: Are spaces such as laundries, bathrooms and garages which users can use to preform their daily routines such as washing clothes or keeping their vehicle sheltered.  

I then established the sizes of each space keeping in mind the allocated overall 250 m2 floor space restriction but also ensuring that I provide sufficient space to allow for comfort. The spaces and their respective sizes are shown below. (All measurements are in metres)

Master Bedroom: 5 x 4 = 20 m2 + 2 x 3 = 6 m2 (Ensuite) Total = 49 m2
Bedroom 1: 3 x 3 = 9 m2
Bedroom 2: 3.5 x 3.5 = 12.25 m2
Bedroom 3: 4 x 3.5 = 14 m2
Study Guest Room: 4 x 3 = 12 m2
Total = 96.25 m2 - 259.87 m3

Living Room: 5 x 5 = 25 m2
Kitchen: 3.25 x 3.25 = 10.56 m2
Dining: 3.5 x 3 = 10.5 m2
Total: 46.06 m2 - 124. 36 m3

Double Garage: 6 x 6 = 36 m2 (5.5 x 5.5 minimum according to Australian Standards)
Children's Bathroom: 3 x 3 = 9 m2
Guest Toilet: 1.5 x 2 = 3 m2
Laundry: 3 x 2.5 = 7.5 m2
Total = 55.5 m2 - 149.85 m3

Total Floor Area = 197.81 (remaining = 52.19 for additional spaces if needed)
Volume based on average ceiling height of 2.7 m = 197.81 x 2.7 = 535 m3 ( remaining = 365 m3)

Establishing the layout and sizes of each space that will make up the house is such an essential process that has to be carried out to ensure a quality design. My first initial thoughts that I developed due to this short exercise that I carried out is to assign each zone to a single primitive so 3 zones = 3 primitives. As per the guidelines that no individual primitive can represent more than 60% of the total form, and no primitive can represent less than 20% of the total. My initial thoughts are to assign the larger habitable zone to a primitive which will make up 60% of the final form and the smaller non-habitable zone to a smaller 20% primitive. 

Below are a few screen captures showing each space as a simple box and each zone colour coded as per its category.



I then experimented with each of spaces by orienting them to try and find the best relationship between each of the spaces to better understand how my final layout might look like and also how vital it is for each space to relate to the adjacent space to help create a successful design. After experimenting with a few possible layouts I narrowed down my selection to 1 layout that I think best represents the relationship between each of the spaces.

The selected layout: I imagined that my final primitive form will be made up of two main levels, the ground floor level and the first floor level. On the ground floor I placed the double garage with the laundry right next to it because both a laundry always includes an egress to the outdoor area so an additional egress can be placed between the garage and the laundry to allow for the access of the outdoor area from the garage without needing to access any of the internal areas of the house.

I then placed the living area next to the garage space as this space would be the main social point of the house and where the guests will be hosted in upon arriving so it makes sense to place the living area next to the entry and the garage. I also placed the guest toilet close to the garage and living area to isolate guests from entering other spaces.

The kitchen and dining room were placed next to the living room which best highlights the non-habitable zone and also creates an open plan living allowing for natural circulation and an overall passive design. 

The final space to be included on the ground floor area is the study / guest room which guests can access without having to gain access to the first floor area. In doing so, I was able to create privacy on the first floor of the house. 

The first floor of the house is made up of a large master bedroom and 3 bedrooms that are placed around a central bathroom. I was not interested in orienting my areas into 3 primitives at this stage but was interested in establishing a relationship between each of these spaces. A few screen captures of the oriented spaces can be viewed below.



I then began experimenting with primitives by creating some composition of 3 selected primitives based on on the proportions allowed in the brief for this experiment. Below are a few screen captures showing my first composition.

Composition 1 : Wedge, Pyramid and Cylinder




My main focus of this composition was to create an overall form that would support for horizontal floor plates. I was able to achieve a rectangular form using the wedge and pyramid that are sufficient enough to allow for a 2 storey house but also added a cylinder that could be regarded as an atrium to allow for natural sunlight in the house through a void. In other words this irregular shaped external skin would be made up of an internal straight and perpendicular structure.

Composition 2: Pyramid, Box and Sphere




In this particular composition, I wanted to experiment with the idea of linking 2 zones together via a central zone. As shown in the above screen captures, the green zones and the red zone are linked using a type of a bridge. I believe that this composition creates for more privacy but is also more unique in conveying the relationship between various spaces.

All in all, this week's exercise has enabled me to establish the sizes and heights of my spaces, the relationship of each space to another and most importantly how I'm able to use primitive shapes to convey design ideas which each represent a unique theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment